Ludlow was not an ancient settlement and was not recorded in Domesday in 1086, when it was part of the large manor of Stanton. The castle was probably erected before 1086, by Walter de Lacy, according to current research. It was built as a defence against the Welsh and the town followed the castle. The name Ludlow comes from ‘lud’ the loud waters and ‘low’ a tumulus.
A possible early settlement followed the line of the outer bailey towards the river on a north south axis (note the gap between Dinham Hall and 11 Dinham which is the site of a ditch, Christ Croft – a possible early defensive boundary. New towns were commercial ventures. They brought revenue to the lord of the manor from fines and burgage rentals. Many were established in the 12th century. Some - like Richard’s Castle - failed. Ludlow was successful in developing as a centre of the wool trade and cloth manufacturing with mills on the Teme river. This prosperity is reflected in the Parish Church of St. Laurence. Castle Square is on the western part of a large open market area which extended to the present Bull Ring. The eastern part became colonised by stalls to form a pattern of rows. The town is laid out on a grid pattern with the three parallel main streets of Mill Street, Broad Street and Old Street, running north-south together with a system of cross lanes and service roads. Each block was divided into ‘burgage plots’ of varying widths and lengths, based on a perch unit of 16 ½ feet for which tenants paid the lord of the manor one shilling per year. These rents were collected until the end of the 17th century. By 1461, the manor and castle passed to Edward IV, grandson of the last Mortimer lord of the manor. Ludlow was given many privileges by the King, including representation in Parliament and the granting of manorial lands to the Corporation. The Castle became a residence of the young prince (subsequently Edward V, who was later murdered in the Tower of London) and the seat of the Prince’s Council. This developed into the Council of the Marches, which governed Wales and the Borders and administered justice in its Court. This brought many people and much prosperity to the town. The monuments of Council members and judges may be seen in the Church and their houses noted. The Council declined after the Civil War and was abolished in 1689. The adverse effect of the Civil War was offset by the growing leather industry (largely in Corve Street), which replaced cloth as the town’s main industry, and the development of Ludlow as a social centre. Landowners from the surrounding areas (as far as Carmarthenshire) came to Ludlow for the social season. They erected town houses, especially in Mill Street and Broad Street, and attended social functions at the Town Hall, hostelries like the Angel and from 1840 at the Assembly Rooms. The coming of the railway in 1852 ended this phase. Gloving, which was the town’s main industry collapsed after the Napoleonic Wars, but the growing malting trade (again in Corve Street) somewhat offset this. The town by-pass which was opened in 1977 made land available for development, especially for housing. The 2001 census gives a population of around 10,000.
During the 1980’s and 1990’s, Ludlow gained a reputation as a pleasant town for civilised living. Many ‘incomers’ have been attracted from the West Midlands and South-East England in particular, and societies and organisations, such as the University of the Third Age, thrive. The traditional ‘Ludlow Festival’, a major arts festival held each year in the Castle, has now been joined by other organisations in the Ludlow calendar. The national reputation for good food has also boosted tourism, particularly the annual Food and Drink Festival in September, the sausage and beer fair and twin-town markets are some examples which attract tourists to the town. Light industry, commerce and agriculture remain important despite offering less employment in recent times.
Traffic problems persist in the town centre, with opinion divided over possible solutions. The historic core of Ludlow has been a conservation area for more than 30 years with some outlying areas (eg Whitcliffe) being added in the 1990’s. Many of the town’s houses have been carefully maintained and restored, with a great awareness of the need to preserve the individual character of the town. Small specialised shops are a major feature of the town and there is some resistance by townsfolk to extend development into the surrounding farmed and wooded countryside. Modern architecture such as Tesco’s and the Library and Museum Resource Centre has caused controversy, with these projects taking several years for suitable planning to be granted. The use of the new Library has more than doubled and now attracts about 6000 visitors each year. Other community facilities include the Assembly Rooms and the South Shropshire Leisure Centre.
CASTLE SQUARE – Western End and Market Area
High Hall. A town house built about 1770 for the Poole family of Stretton Grandison near Ledbury on the site of a house formerly owned by the Littleton and Kettleby families, who were noted in judicial circles. Rented by the Roger family of Stanage Park near Knighton in the mid-19th century, it then became the Rectory. Margaret McMillan, who later was instrumental in the founding of nursery education, was a governess to the Rector’s family in the late 19th century. In 1910, it became Ludlow Girls’ High School. Insertion of new windows destroyed some of the Georgian elegance of Farnolls Pritchard’s architecture, but the fine porch and staircase remain. Castle Lodge is a much altered medieval stone house with late 16th century/early 17th century timber-framed upper storey. It was the lodging of the Porter of the Castle and home of leading officials of Council of the Marches. At the time of the Berlin Airlift, it was bought by the Suez Canal Company as a bolt-hole if their Paris HQ was taken by the Russians. It was then sold to a local antique dealer, who brought in features from demolished houses. It is now open to the public. The Assembly Rooms were built in 1840 at a cost of £5,800 to the design of local architects Mathew Stead & Son, for balls and card parties etc. Alongside was a purpose-built museum, fitted up internally in neo-Egyptian style. This became a cinema in the early 20th century. Since the late 1980s it has been transformed into an arts and community centre with initial money raised locally and then a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to complete the project. Site of Town Hall. A Victorian town hall, built to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1897, and the successor to a previous similar building on the same site. The architect was Henry Cheers of Twickenham, who later designed the City Hall in Hereford. Vilified by many, including Pevsner, it was demolished with unseemly haste in 1986 for structural reasons. The open space allows Castle Square to be appreciated in a way not seen since the Middle Ages.
CASTLE SQUARE – Northern Side
Number 18 is a new building, which replaced ‘The House of the Leaden Porch’ a noted feature of medieval and Tudor Ludlow. It was demolished in 1995 after years of neglect, when it finally began to implode into the cellar. Number 16 was largely rebuilt in 1838. It was the home of Samuel Stead an outstanding monumental mason and builder of much early 19th century development. Note the initials and date over the upper windows. The Window on the east was extends the whole height of the building to light the staircase and possibly avoid window taxes at the time. Number 14 is a fine brick house build for the Baugh family in 1728, Note the heraldic badge and the dates on the rainwater headers. The doorway is original and there are several fine panelled rooms on the ground floor. The garden originally extended to the pavement area to the south and through to the town wall on the north, before the car park was created. The War Memorial was erected in the early 21st Century as a public tribute to all killed in war.
CASTLE SQUARE – East End
Note the rows which filled the market place, known as ‘encroachments’, or market colonisation. The two Northern rows were originally a butchers’ shambles with stalls on either side of a central gutter (which is now Harp Lane). The middle row became Shoemakers Row. Medieval guilds kept all shops of the same trade together, so that no one gained advantage by a better site. In many towns, such as Hereford, such rows were swept away by early 19th Century improvements.
Two burgage plots became the site of the massive house of Charles Fox, Secretary of the Council of the Marches. Built around a courtyard, it lost its importance following the dissolution of the Council in 1689. In Quality Square, note the former first floor Long Gallery on the west side, now the upper showroom of a shop. The brick work is the earliest in Ludlow, outside of the Castle, and dates to the latter part of the 16th century. The square, which had become run down in the 1960’s has been refurbished attractively with a variety of uses.
Note the variations in burgage plot widths. Valentine Dawes Gallery is a two perch plot, with the Rose & Crown Inn to the west of three perches, and similarly Hosier’s Almshouses to the east. Number 7, Pottery Shop is a late 15th century building, while the timber framed bookshop has a 19th century re-front. The Rose & Crown inn. At the rear in the courtyard a medieval window has been built into the rear wall, which may have come from the College of Priests in College Street. To the rear above the gateway entrance into Church Street can be seen the inscription to Valentine Dawes who built the house in the early 17th Century and was a mercer. Tamberlaine House. In the 1950s the rear of the building was named after Tamberlaine Davies, a wealthy mercer, who had been named after the hero of Marlowe’s play. Note the carving on the bressemer beam, the carved brackets and the carpenters’ marks. Conduit The site of the original conduit brought into town by Sir Henry Sidney in the 16th century was a few yards to the south.Research in the 1980s revealed the course of the conduit from a rain-filled reservoir on Whitcliffe down into the town.
COLLEGE STREET St. Laurence’s Church
The inside of the church should be visited and toured separately but the following features should be noted. Originally built in 1199, it was much extended between the 13th and 15th centuries and has many fine features such as the famous misericords, stained glass, woodwork and monuments. The South Porch is one of only three in the country. Apart from Ludlow, there is a simple one at Chipping Norton and a very elaborate example at St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. Research for the new Shropshire ‘Pevsner’ suggests that the Ludlow porch was completed before the end of the 14th century. Note that the two windows either side of the West Door are a hundred years apart, with the earlier ballflower to the north (14th century) and the later southern (15th century). The central great west window was made for the renovation of the church in the 1860s. The tower was built between 1433 and 1471 by masons from Gloucester and is 135 feet high.
Hosier’s Almshouses. Founded by John Hosier, a wealthy merchant who died in 1461, to house 33 poor people. Rebuilt for the Corporation in 1758 by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard, the Shrewsbury architect. He was famous as the designer of the world’s first iron bridge at Coalbrookdale. Note the Ludlow coat of arms on the pediment, with the lion for the Mortimer family, and three Yorkist white roses. It is now sheltered housing for local people. There is no indication if any statue was intended for the empty niche. College Court and the Palmers Guild. The building was the college of the priests of the Palmers’ Guild, a religious guild founded in the mid 13th century to pray for souls of departed members and provide welfare and insurance services. It expanded rapidly in the 14th century, with many endowments of land and buildings in Ludlow and in counties to both south and north. The stewards toured the membership each year and an annual feast was held in Ludlow. This building was erected in 1394 for the priests who served the Guild in the chantry chapels in St. Laurence’s, with the original doorway still intact. The plan was like an Oxford quadrangle with cells around the courtyard and evidence can be seen on one of the inner walls. In 1551, the Guild was dissolved and its wealth passed to the Corporation, incorporating nearly one third of Ludlow properties, and some ‘offices’ to the Church. The Corporation had to sell much of this property in a protracted law suit in the mid nineteenth Century. The building became private houses and then a cottage hospital in the 19th century and in the mid 1980s was sold and developed into private flats for a housing association for retired people.
The Rectory is the oldest surviving occupied residence in Ludlow, dated 1313-1328 by dendrochronology. The oldest part is the two storey hall range and cross-wing to the centre and right of the building. It was a Rectory until 1841 and again from 1979. The Garden of Rest was the burial ground until the 19th Century and the graves were removed in the 20th century. From here, note the memorial plaque to A. E. Housman (with a cherry tree opposite the Hosiers), and the memorial to Adrian Jones, the sculptor. The early 14th century north wall of the church has simple decorated windows. The north transept is 14th century and rebuilt in the 15th century with arrow on gable (Fletcher’s chapel). From the north side can be seen the town wall, with the site of the archery fields immediately below. To the north west, the Linney, a damp riverside area was probably used for the growing of flax in early medieval times. The town walls were built over a period of 50 years from about 1260, with seven original gates. Now only the Broad Gate remains. The Reader’s House is a late medieval stone building owned by the Palmer’s Guild and housing the Grammar School in the late 15th century. Originally entered from the Bull Ring, it was leased to Thomas Kay, the Chaplain to the Council of the Marches, who made a new entrance from the Churchyard in 1616, adding the fine timber-framed porch. Note the details of the carving of woodwork – typical of early 17th century Ludlow carpentry.
Looking down the street to the site of the Corve Gate, note that this is an ancient road running north/south and the logical route over the hill (the ‘low’ or tumulus), to the ford crossing the river Teme (the ‘Lud’ or loud waters). Corve Street marks the eastern boundary of the Norman town and was burgaged down its length. Much of this area was rebuilt after being burnt by Royalist defenders in the Civil War and evidence has been found recently in the timber framing of houses opposite Tesco’s. Corve Street was the centre of the leather trades, then later for malting. Bull Inn Yard. The Bull is the oldest inn in Ludlow in continuous use. The street frontage was rebuilt following a fire in the late 18th century but fragments remain of a fine 14th century roof. The long range down the yard dates from the 15th century and provided a range of rooms above the stables (like a motel). There was probably an external gallery linking the rooms, the rail of which can be seen. The Feathers Hotel is a flamboyant early 17th century rebuild of a house formerly belonging to Thomal Hackliut – Secretary to the Council of the Marches and relative of the author of ‘The Voyages’, and Elizabethan best seller in 1520. It was rebuilt in 1619 for Rees Jones, a Pembrokeshire attorney at the Court of the Marches, who had married the daughter of Edward Waties, owner of the Feathers site. It did not become an inn until 1670. Notice the original entrance porch at the north end of the building. The present entrance with gallery over, dates from the mid 19th century, when the Feathers was used for electioneering meetings and candidates spoke from the gallery. The interior contains fine plaster ceilings and oak overmantels. Each Boxing Day, a ‘tug of war’ contest is held between the Feathers and the Bull across Corve Street. The Bull Ring was known as the Beast Market in the seventeenth Century and was used for cattle sales rather than bull-baiting and acted as a pound on the edge of the market. Note another example of market colonisation (Chemists and Shoe Shop) known as the Shelde (from the Latin – selda = a shop). Rickards Ironmongers is a large site comprising the shop and extensive storage area at the back. It was home to the Rickard family, who lived above the shop in the 1880s when Heber Rickard was Mayor of Ludlow. The Tolsey was built in about 1420 with a court room over an open ground floor. It was the seat of the Market Court, also known as Pie Powder (dusty feet) for instant fines. Tolls were collected on the ground floor for the market. The Bull Ring Tavern and adjoining buildings are 16th and 17th century. The date on the building relating to its use as an inn can be questioned! Due to the restricted nature of the site, the buildings have been extended upwards.
An interesting row of double buildings back to back, one facing north on what is now King Street and one facing south on to Pepper Lane. This was the original Southern limit of the market area. Number 18 Cancer Research Shop. This is a fine building from the 15th century extending down Fish Street (formerly Taylor’s Yard). Note the deep jetty supporting the overhanging upper floor, the decorated corner post and diagonal dragon beam at the south corner. Numbers 14 & 15 – Vaughans and Cotswold - are a pair of timber-framed houses carefully restored in the 1980s Tree ring dating puts the front of Number 15 at 1476. In the undercroft is a fine stone fireplace with a massive lintel. Bodenhams is one of the most interesting timber-framed buildings in Ludlow. The structure has been dated by dendrochronology to 1404. It contains a crown post roof and detail of this can be seen on the west gable. This was once considered a rarity in Shropshire, but a growing number of examples have been found in the last 20 years. On the ground floor there were three lock-up shops with a fourth shop linked to the upper floors, and opening on to Broad Street. The corner post which supports the dragon beam was removed in the 18th century by the town’s Improvement Commission and replaced with an iron post. The shop has been owned and run by the same family since 1863, a tradition which is unusual in the contemporary culture of retail chains.
For convenience of description, the building are noted in order from north to south, starting on the east side then the west side. This is the most important street of the Norman plan and has always been a mixture of commercial properties at the top end and varying sizes of residential properties. It shows many good examples of Georgian rebuilds on the older properties, with the Georgian symmetry ‘stretched’ to accommodate the side passages of the older houses. The Buttercross faces down Broad Street and was built in 1743 – 46 to replace the 16th century New House, where the Corporation held its meetings. It was originally the site of the High Cross, which was the official centre of the town. The building was designed by William Baker of Audlem. The upper rooms have been used variously as a boys’ charity school and the Ludlow Museum.
East side to Brand Lane Numbers 3 & 4. Investigations in 1988 revealed that this building contains a crown post roof similar to that of Bodenhams. De Grey’s. Note the depth of this building, which gives a good indication of a typical long burgage plot. The Piazza – also known as ‘The Corridor’ – dates back at least to the 17th century though the cast iron columns date from 1795 when they were installed by the Improvement Commissioners and can be seen in towns such as Totnes, Dartmouth and The Pantiles at Tunbridge Wells. The Angel was a victim of economic recessions, like the Crown opposite, and is now developed into small shops and flats. An inn since at least 1555, it was almost entirely rebuilt after the Second World War. Note the original timber frame on the ground floor and 18th century oriel windows above. The ‘timber framing’ on the upper floors dates from the 1930s and is just boards nailed to the wall! The pelican and puffin are the nicknames of the daughters of the current owner. Lord Nelson received the freedom of Ludlow here in 1803. The Woolshop is a typical early 17th century Ludlow timber-framed house and the boyhood home of William Owen (1760 -1828) who became portrait painter to the Prince Regent. Numbers 17 & 18 are houses owned by the local Salwey family, with rainwater headers of Number 18 dated 1737. The smaller asymmetrical doorway was inserted when part of the property was the Old Bank in the 19th century.
West side to Bell Lane The Silver Pear was previously a bank, and recent research has revealed that behind the frontage, which was ‘newly built’ in 1619, there is a much older medieval building running east/west along what is now Market Street. The quality of what remains suggests that this was an important and fine town house and could explain why the street was called ‘Barons Row’ at one time. Note the fine timbered gable fronting Market Street with horizontal pentices to deflect rainwater (a Worcestershire feature). Roundabout Stationery was the Crown – Ludlow’s largest coaching inn from the late 15th century until forced out of business in the economic recession in 1818. Up the passage can be seen Stage Coach Cottage, the site of the former booking office. A series of late 18th century waybills were found here (including dispatch of goods to Nelson’s mistress – Lady Hamilton). Number 54 is circa 1770 with an older interior. It was the retirement home of Admiral Vashon. The Methodist Chapel was built in 1879 on the site of the house built for Richard Salwey of Richard’s Castle in 1743 by William Baker. The Wesleyan Methodists built this larger chapel to replace one in Lower Broad Street. The interior of the church was refurbished in 2006, with a sympathetic retention of original features in a modern adaptation for greater community use. Number 49, Oriel House, was formerly the Talbot Inn on the site of the house of the Earls of Shrewsbury – the Talbot family. The projecting porch is very similar to that of Ludford House (by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard). There is some other possible work by Pritchard in this house.
East side from Brand Lane to Broad Gate. Number 27 consists of two earlier houses rebuilt as one in stone in the 1680s for Sir Job Charlton of Ludford House and remodelled in 1764 by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard for Somerset Davies, a rich Ludlow mercer. Drawings of fireplaces (still surviving) in Pritchard’s notebook in Washington DC. Numbers 28 - 30 were originally one property called the Anchor Inn built in the late seventeenth Century. The Parlour - No. 28; the Hall - No. 29; the kitchen - No. 30. Later re-frontings had to accommodate existing internal walls, hence the lack of symmetry. Number 33 is timber-framed under later rendering, built about 1570. Note the unusual blocked windows in the wall, shown open on Samuel Scott’s view of Broad Street dated 1766.
West side from Bell Lane to Broad Gate. Number 40 has a timber-framed interior, Jacobean brickwork, windows from the Georgian period plus one extra storey added. The adjoining building to the south was built as a ballroom and is now two houses. Number 39 was refronted around 1760 by local mason Thomas Sheward with eight Venetian windows possibly to impress his gentry neighbours. Alec Clifton-Taylor called it ‘over-egging the pudding’. Number 38 was rebuilt entirely in 1768 by William Toldery, a prosperous lawyer. Numbers 35 – 37 were once the site of the ‘Fayre House’ built by Mr Justice Walker, Chief Justice of South Wales (died 1594, his tomb is in the Parish Church). Called the ‘Fayre House by the Gate’ in Thomas Churchyard’s poem ‘The Worthinesse of Wales’ (1557), it was rebuilt in the 18th century. Note the fine railings to the elevated pavement.
THE BROAD GATE
The last survivor of Ludlow’s seven medieval gates, probably completed about 1270. Despite considerable later rebuilding, the original structure of two drum towers flanking a central passage remains. This can be seen from the south side. On the north side note the 16th to 18th century house built over the Gate. Gothick crenellations and details probably by Pritchard for Dr Samuel Sprott who died in 1760. He has a monument by Pritchard in Ludford Church. Note the portcullis groove and arrow slit under the arch. The gate arch and the drum towers (cf Edward I’s castles in Wales) can be seen from the south elevation. The west drum tower is now partially obscured by Regency Gothick additions of 1824 - 29.
LOWER BROAD STREET
This was the centre of cloth working in the Middle Ages. It leads from Ludford Bridge - in existence since 1216 - into the town. The remains of St. John’s Hospital are at the lower end on the east side. The entire block to the east was owned by the Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem. Lower Broad Street was largely destroyed by fire in the Civil War, like the other suburbs outside of the walls. Buildings against the walls, such as The Wheatsheaf, are post Civil War rebuilds. The south facing gardens were the tenter’s yards, where cloth was stretched on racks to dry after the fulling process “to be on tenter hooks”. St Fagan’s Museum in Cardiff has built a tenter’s frame to show the process.
Lower Broad Street - east side. The first five houses were built by one builder in the late 19th century for himself and his daughters. The older houses further down have been refurbished recently. The elevated Roadway dates from the 1820s regarded as the main route into town from the south by Thomas Telford. It continues into upper Broad street by ‘Telford’s Trench’. St. John’s Road was known as Frog Lane until the early 20th century. It is an early medieval lane, which connected through to Friar’s Walk in Old Street.
SILK MILL LANE
The remnants of the town wall are actually to the south of the existing wall. There is a good example of a long burgage plot at Number 35 Broad Street, which backs onto Raven Lane where the coach house would have stood. This provided access to the property from both sides. Many of the gardens have now been sold off and the coach houses rebuilt into houses. Silk Mill Lane was also known as ‘Narrow Lane’ in previous times for obvious reasons! The area was also known as ‘Merrivale’ or ‘Mixen Lane’ where Mixen was a midden or dunghill! Barnaby House is on the right beyond Raven Lane. It now forms part of Ludlow College. It is a large 13th/14th century dwelling associated with Thomas Barnaby, who was treasurer to Edward IV. Note the medieval windows and block door. There is a fine roof dated 1450-51 which had previously been used on another site.
Perhaps the most westerly of the streets in the Norman grid. The lane round to Dinham follows the curve of the river. Historians are not agreed on whether this predates or is later than the building of the castle and the establishment of the town.
Ludlow College is a large stone medieval building. The site was donated to the Palmers’ Guild by the Cheyne family of Cheyney Longville and in 1527 the Guild moved the Grammar School to the site. The exterior shows the characteristic arrangement of a medieval house: the doors to the screens passage, service wing below and hall above. Take note of the 14th century cusped window openings. The solar was further up the hill, rebuilt in the 18th century and now a private house. Number 8, now the British Legion Victory House, was once owned by the Knights of Downtown, the ironmasters. Number 7 has recently been converted back to a private house having been used as a solicitor’s office. This is another property once owned by the Salweys of Richard’s Castle.
West Side Numbers 23 and 23a
Two identical Victorian cottages, once the site of Ludlow theatre. Examples of Ludlow back building, these are now restored into three houses next to the cottages. Also further up there is one very small house of single rooms on three floors with very steep staircases. Number 47. Jettied cottages with backbuilding off the side entrances. Now owned by the Dinham Hall Hotel. The right hand room at the front has a fine original plaster ceiling with decorations featuring the pomegranate – the symbol of Catherine of Aragon. The Guildhall was the headquarters of the Palmers’ Guild, where they had meetings and feasts, such as the Pentecost feast, where expense accounts show huge quantities of wine consumed. It was taken over by the Corporation in 1551 and until very recently was still used as a courtroom. The original building has been dated by dendrochronology to 1411 and was an aisled hall (like a church) with a timber arcade. This is very rare in the west of the country. In Hereford, the Bishop’s Palace is an early example. In 1768, it was remodelled by Pritchard in the Gothick style and has a fine doorway. The original 18th century furnishings survive in their entirety.
Blue Boar Yard
This was the entrance to the Guildhall enclosure. The name of the Blue Boar often indicates an earlier name of the White Boar, the badge of Richard III and changed after his death in 1486 for obvious reasons! Number 11 Dinham. The open space to the east of the house running down towards the river is known as Christ Croft. Some historians believe this may have been part of the defences of an early settlement based on Dinham. Note the alignment with the outer bailey belonging to the Castle. Dinham House is a large 18th century house owned by the Knights of Downton and subsequently the Earls of Powys. Lucien Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon lived here with a large retinue as a prisoner on parole in 1811. St. Thomas of Canterbury Chapel. St. Thomas was canonised in 1173 and the first known church to be dedicated to him dates from 1178. The Ludlow chapel appears to date from about this time and certainly pre-dates the 1199 rebuilding of St. Laurence’s. The cult of St. Thomas á Becket was promoted in the Welsh Borders as an alternative to the dominant Welsh devotion to St. David. The remains are of the chancel, to which a later dwelling was added. The foundations of the nave were uncovered in the 1970s and the west end of the chapel must have been under the present road. Note the dressed stones, probably from the chapel, now in the garden wall of Dinham Lodge.
SOME INTERESTING BUILDINGS OF LUDLOW
Prepared by the Ludlow Historical Research Group
Ludlow Civic Society | 51 Julian Road | Ludlow SY8 1HD | Email:email@example.com
Copyright © 2013 www.ludlowcivicsociety.org
Site by Blast design